Tuesday, January 30, 2007

An Apple a Day...

...or so it seemed recently, when I was working on this latest series of apples of all sizes and shapes and colors. It occurred to me at one point -- while groaning over how hard it is, in fact, to paint a decent apple -- that it might have been a good idea to go to art school and learn all that stuff in a classroom instead of trying to learn it all on my own now (well, duh!!!).

But of course, if I'd gone to art school maybe my creative spirit would have been stifled...maybe I would have ended up crazy from all those turpentine fumes...maybe I would have fallen into bed with some ne'er-do-well narcissistic artist and ended up supporting HIS career....Gee, the more I think about it, learning how to paint apples on my own, in the safety of my own studio, seems really not so bad!

But don't worry, I won't keep all this "juicy" new work to myself. I am now officially updating my painting website (a task I put up there with cleaning the corner grout on bathroom tile - no, actually, I'd much prefer to clean grout) and soon there will be a whole bushel of apple paintings and other new work for you to look at, I PROMISE.

Meanwhile, well...I hope you are all finding your own challenges in life, whether they be painting apples or playing the banjo or anything else that you don't really know how to do but you're doing anyway, because, what the hell, we only live once. Right?

2 Comments:

Blogger lisa said...

hooray, i sure am looking forward to the upcoming paintings, applish & otherwise!
i love the last (cheering, encouraging) paragraph concerning challenges... & it seems strangely prescient of the february "rpmchallenge"... ?
~ L

6:37 PM  
Blogger wampoline said...

Yes indeed! Well, great minds think alike! For those of you who'd like to know what the "rpm challenge" is, here is the link - i'ts really cool and i'm still thinking of doing it (i have 3 weeks left!) http://www.rpmchallenge.com

4:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home