Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Out With the Old, In With the New!








I like to think of myself as a fairly modern person; I mean, while I may not be a techno-geek, I'm still more Lucite than Luddite. And yet here I am, after more than a week on a new laptop, still scared to do the most basic things on it (like blog, hence the unbearable wait for a new posting from me. Sorry!). Of course there are myriad excuses I can call upon to make myself look a little less lame. For instance, I'm changing from a PC to a Mac - and you know how incredibly difficult THAT is. I mean, for goodness' sake, you have to click on the left to close a window! It's like driving in the UK! (I'm amazed that I'm as far along as I am, really).

But seriously, it is different, in all these tiny little ways that don't amount to much on their own, but add up to an overall feeling of, well, difference. Kind of like culture shock. Everything is just a little bit different and a little bit more of a challenge - which can be exciting and distracting but also disturbing and de-motivating (depending on your attitude and stress levels). And when I think of all I "have" to do - rebuild my website, re-organize 6 years' worth of photos - all while learning a new system, I start to feel overwhelmed.

The fact is, I'd much rather be traipsing around discovering some new country than navigating a new computer. It's just not as fun for me to interact with a machine as it is for me to interact with people and places and living things (oh gee...now that's a surprise!).

And yet I will soldier on...In the interest of blogging and websites other oh-so-important "things to do"...

p.s. BTW, the photo is of my old, dying laptop, which is slow as molasses, doesn't close anymore, and is, quite literally, falling apart. And yet I must say - in contradiction to my above remark about machines - I've grown absurdly attached to it. I even hated the Mac at first, and felt the same disdain for it as I felt whenever I drove an automatic after my no-power-steering, hard-to-drive standard VW Fox: What a toy! I sneered, while the cute little icons bounced up and down enthusiastically. What a gussied-up harlot! You're not a real computer! How dare you try to tempt me with your i-this and i-that! (OK, dear, I think it's time to get off the computer now...tearing...fingers..off...keyboard...)

1 Comments:

Blogger Angela said...

Hey, I'm with you on this one. Time is much better spent OFF the computer for me, too. BUT, I do love my new macbook and I've used it all of 15 minutes in the two months I've had it!

Erik is a natural computer wiz, and Caleb is not far behind. I'm just used to the tried and true PC ways of doing things.

It's that old resistance to change. I did make that Uggs movie, though, with Erik's help, LOL.

2:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home