Monday, May 07, 2007

Me on TV












They wanted to get the "American" perspective, so Chris the presenter asked me what other Americans thought about the election. I paraphrased my politically savvy friend M, and mumbled something about wanting someone "competent" in the presidency (thanks for giving me that soundbyte, M!). Thankfully the interview was brief, because I really don't feel confident talking about politics, much less on television! I would make a lousy politician, that's for sure. Can you imagine me coming up with policies for the country? "Um...I don't know...what do you think? Do you want some gingerbread?"

Later I was asked if I wanted to be part of a panel on the set - my introvert side won over my extrovert side and I said No. Mainly I was afraid of looking stupid - or not looking like an expert - it's that old fear of being an imposter again. Or you could call it humility. Or just a belief in solid facts, in truth. Amazing the number of people in politics, and on TV, who seem to have no problem saying whatever they want, as many times as they want, even when they know it's not true (I'm thinking especially of the mud-slinging done by candidates during the campaign). And they wonder why people become cynical about politics...

(Photo again by James Kigin.)

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

You were the only woman in the blogging room?! How tech of them :)

5:35 PM  
Blogger Boz said...

That makes me feel much better! They had asked me as well, but at that point the idea of some high-pressure situation didn't really appeal...I'm glad I'm not the only one to have said no.

Josh

3:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home