Tuesday, July 04, 2006

The Best Food I Ate in Massachusetts....

...was Cambodian food. This was one of many feasts I was lucky enough to be a part of on my trip, thanks to my sister Laura and her husband Kresna. Beef strips, chinese broccoli, shrimp, rice noodles, and yummy, spicy, fermented-fishy sauces that are not for the faint-hearted (for those of you who are interested in this sort of thing, check out the book Salt, by Mark Kurlansky, and the chapter on fermented fish sauce in ancient Rome. It's astonishing to learn that Western food used to taste more like Asian food, once upon a time).

As for the napkins, well, it's hard to go 2 feet in the States without bumping into an American flag. If I wasn't so hungry right now, I could probably make some sort of interesting, ironic commentary on this photo. But, after all this thinking about food, what I really want to do is make lunch. C'est la vie, c'est la gourmandise. Posted by Picasa

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home