Thursday, August 30, 2007

View From A Chateau Window

Yes, occasionally I have been known to visit a chateau and pretend that "someday, all this will be mine..." But in actual fact, I am quite happy not to have the responsibility of, among other things, cleaning out a moat.

This view is from le Chateau d'Etoges, which I like to think of as the "cozy chateau" because it doesn't have that gray, oppressive, fort-like feeling that so many have (not that I'm any kind of "chateau expert"...but living in France does give one the opportunity to see more castles than one normally would -- in, say, Springfield, Massachusetts).

I wasn't technically given permission to go upstairs, where the bedrooms are, but the good thing about chateaux is that not only are they really big, but they are usually understaffed (in this case, only one young woman at the downstairs desk - hee hee. I'm such a rebel!).

3 Comments:

Blogger Angela said...

The older and more misanthropic I get, the better the idea of a moat sounds. And, think of all the bettas I could I have!

Keep out dem marina yuppies (though, they'd probably be peeing in it on the weekends).

4:35 AM  
Blogger MATTHEW ROSE said...

This summer I visited the Chateau d'Ainay near Cher. I was assigned to write about the collection of the Chateau for Art & Antiques Magazine (US). Very beautiful, old (13th century) and with an amazing collection of paintings, objects and assorted VOS (very old stuff).

Since I found out you run the sketch group, you might be interested to know about the press I run, a small artist press: LALANDE DIGITAL ART PRESS. Take a look...

Best,

Matthew

3:20 PM  
Blogger lisa said...

thanks for the unauthorized view! mighty purty...

9:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home