Monday, April 09, 2007

Forsythia!

Forsythia, forsythia, forsythia! What a beautiful word. I love saying it, I love the way it rolls off the tongue (OK, it doesn't quite roll off, it rather stumbles and lisps - but still, what a joyous sound). When I was a kid growing up in Cambridge, Massachusetts, this would be the first flower (or bush) to bloom, the very first taste of spring. It was like color had been put into the world again, after an endless winter of black and white.

(Bonus: If you are a fellow forsythia-lover, search for "forsythia" in Google images: you won't be disappointed!)

3 Comments:

Blogger lisa said...

Wow, forsythia!!
I think I have the same thrilled and nostalgic feeling about forsythia ... the flowery word itself, the irrepressible yellow, and the sure taste of spring it meant for me as a kid growing up in Maryland and Virginia. Thank you for this!
xo,
~L

6:45 PM  
Blogger lisa said...

Holy cow! I just followed up on your suggestion about google images for "forsythia" ... mmmm, like a delirious roll-around in essence of yellow! ~L

6:52 PM  
Blogger talldark said...

I've been seeing forsythia around Paris too... making me homesick for the one on our roof garden in Brooklyn (forsythia is the official borough plant).

d

12:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home