Monday, November 12, 2007

Apartment Envy

Here's a dilemma (that I should consider myself lucky to have): envy for my own apartment. That's right - we're selling our place and moving in a few months, and suddenly I'm heartbroken to think we are giving up our home to someone else (OK, not actually giving - we are getting some euros for it - but still, they will reap the benefits of our love and labor). It's like we finally settled in here - we just got the place repainted - I'm finally home - and now we're leaving???

But of course this is the time of year when the whole concept of Home means the most to me. Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, and all of that. It's the time of year when I am not interested in adventure; rather, I want nothing more than to curl up on a couch with a book and a cup of tea and a giant down comforter, my biggest ambition in life being to make a soup out of 10 different vegetables at once.

So what's the solution? I guess I'll just have to focus on living in the present, and enjoy what I have right now, and not think about the future too much. Embrace the changes when they come. What is life anyway but a series of changes that we are constantly racing to keep up with?

As the Buddhist comedian said: "The only constant in life is Change - except when you need it for the bus!" (And to that I might add that "the only constant in my life is me telling this joke over and over again to anyone who will listen!")

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home