Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Happy 4th










Another 4th of July in a foreign land. I still can't understand why the French don't celebrate this holiday - don't they want the parade, the barbeque, the fireworks? I mean, sure, they have the 14th of July to celebrate too, but why not add on another? Who would notice? Oh well. Maybe it'll catch on eventually, like Halloween.

I'm working on a portrait commission (almost done!) and haven't left the house in days. This is both a good thing and a bad thing, I think. The good part is that I'm not spending any money or getting into any trouble (often the two go together), and I'm able to concentrate on what I'm doing (essential for doing a portrait). The bad part is that my world is becoming pretty narrow and almost eccentric. I'm eating raw almonds for breakfast and plain rice for lunch, because I haven't bothered to go shopping. I've listened to the same CDs so many times that I'm starting to feel like these musicians are close personal friends of mine: G Love and Special Sauce (the first album), Neil Young's Silver and Gold, Miles Davis Kind of Blue (ironic that those last two are colors!). It goes without saying that I am wearing the same clothes every day. And yes, I do occasionally talk to myself.

Anyway, I also take frequent breaks to pace around, check email, boil water for tea, and especially, look out and see what the sky is doing. We may not have fireworks (yet) but these are some pretty spectacular clouds.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jill said...

Caroline -- good luck with the painting! Almonds for breakfast means you're in the zone...

Also, I did nothing for the 4th -- I think I'm going to celebrate that holiday every other year...

I love your cloud photos!

xo Jill

9:41 PM  
Blogger wampoline said...

Thanks! i guess if life gives you clouds, make cloud photos, right?

4:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home