Monday, June 25, 2007

Happy Birthday to Me

That's right. Forty-four years on the planet and it is staggering how much I still don't know. Forget about understanding things like the theory of relativity - I'm still figuring out how to use the remote control for the DVD player. As for world affairs, history, and politics - I do read things and can spout some facts, but basically what I don't know could fill several libraries. If ignorance is bliss, then I'm on Cloud Nine.

Of course, I had much higher hopes for myself (and the planet) as a kid. Growing up, I remember conversations with other children about how exciting it would be to live in the 21st century. We imagined riding around in spaceships, eating blue food, and wearing colorful skintight outfits with large pointy collars (our image of the future was undoubtedly tainted by watching The Jetsons and Star Trek). World problems like war, poverty, and hunger would all be solved - miraculously - by technology. The future would be clean, friendly, and gleaming, with everything we wanted at our fingertips (kind of like Google headquarters). It didn't ever once occur to us that what we were longing for, was in fact, Utopia, and Utopia does not, and will never, exist.

Whoops - didn't mean to get so morose on you! I think I'll go suck on some helium now.

3 Comments:

Blogger Jill said...

Happy Birthday Caroline!! I used to have some computer application that flagged my friend's birthdays -- apparently it is malfunctioning. Yes, sometimes I wish life were like they say it is at the Googleplex. I miss you and maybe someday we will again live within 200 miles of each other. xo Jill

10:49 PM  
Blogger Angela said...

Oh, this made me so sad Caroline! This is what I have to say to that: http://dogg-ma.blogspot.com/2007/07/utopia-exists.html

You are a wonderful person and have given so much joy to so many! Can't wait to see you so I can tell you in person, silly woman ;)

8:12 PM  
Blogger wampoline said...

Hey thanks you guys - and Angela, don't worry, I was only kidding about the helium...

4:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home