Sunday, April 16, 2006

Waiting for Travaux


Travaux (pronounced "tra-VOH") is the french word for "works", or, in our case, gut renovation of a beautiful but crumbling Haussmannian apartment in a neighborhood that is "en pleine evolution" (meaning, property values are expected to increase but men still feel free to urinate in our doorway).

Travaux is also synonymous with delays, language barriers, waiting in endless lines only to come home with the wrong tool (or the wrong advice), tearful fights in bathroom supply stores, insomnia, overdrawn bank accounts, and general intestinal distress. Oh, and let's not mention the disruptive presence of student demonstrations and national public holidays (of which there are three alone in the month of May).

I know it will all be over soon and we'll have a great apartment (if we're not in debtors' prison by then). But patience and long-term gratification have never been my strong suits. Ask anyone who's ever played a board game with me.

My friend C. says to be "zen" about it all and just "go with the flow." I don't mean to be testy, but go with what flow? Negative cash flow? Or the flow of sewage leaking into the downstairs neighbor's apartment because the workmen disconnected the toilet pipe and neglected to connect it back again?

But I digress. My main goal today was to show you photos, since all three of you reading this have requested them. So here you are -- VOILA. (And yes, i know that in my last post i promised only photos and no commentary. But blogging means never having to say you're sorry....right Ariana?)

2 Comments:

Blogger Jake said...

I think your Tas-mannian construction crew need to drink less water at work. Please elaborate on the supply store experience it helps me justify all the stuff I keep around the house in order to avoid such visits.


p.s. you are going to have the nicest debtors prison cell in town!

Jake

4:37 PM  
Blogger lisa said...

hooray! hooray!
waiting for travaux?!? heck, i've been waiting for the caroline blog for y-e-a-r-s now.
ah, but now it's finally here, and i look forward to the further adventures of wampoline in wonderland!
~ lisa

2:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home